I am a member of Planet Fitness, which I love, and I also have free access to my gym at work in Red Hat Tower.
In 2012, I set a goal to walk for 30 minutes every day of the year. I was inspired by this video—23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health? and I blogged about the experience with end-of-month blog entries of my progress.
In my young adult life:
- I used to be an avid bowler and maintained (in the vicinity of) a 185 average. My highest game ever was actually in high school, and it was a 257.
- I skied in the winter and have skied in such places as Breckenridge, Keystone, and Aspen in Colorado; Park City in Utah; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Wintergreen in Virginia; and Seven Springs in Pennsylvania. I skied on the blue slopes and the non-mogul black slopes.
- I played volleyball, both for recreational IBM leagues, and on a “gay” league at the Jaycee Park on Wade Avenue.
- I played soccer for a couple of years, on a co-ed recreational IBM league. I played fullback, and occasionally in the goal.
- I played a lot of tennis, both in my undergraduate college years, and when I was married, as my in-laws were really into tennis.
- I played racquetball for a couple of years, purely for the fun of it.